You may have heard of the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace study. In the study, Dave teaches people how to be debt-free, manage money, and save wisely. Jarred and I became interested in doing the study when our friends, Brian and Alisha, told us how great it is for newlyweds. A few other couples in our Sunday School class were interested, so we decided let's do it! The study started this last Sunday evening at our friends, Holly and AJ's house. In this first session, Dave presents the seven baby steps:
Step 1 - $1000 in an emergency fund
Step 2 - Pay off all debt except the house utilizing the debt snowball
Step 3 - Three to six months expenses in savings
Step 4 - Invest 15% of your household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement plans
Step 5 - College funding
Step 6 - Pay off your home early
Step 7 - Build wealth and give!
During this session, we discussed in more depth steps 1 and 3. It will take a little bit of time for us to save up for those steps, but Jarred and I are ready to get started!
This is cool: my parents have been doing this study and are finishing up on it now as Jarred and I are getting started. It is making for some really good conversations with them. ;)
On a totally different topic. . . .
I want to share a little bit about nutrition. Since I've starting personal training at LiveFit7 I've been working to adhere to a healthier diet. I've always eaten realitively healthy, but I am working on drinking more water and maintaining a 5 small meals a day routine. This is what a typical day for me looks like now:
4am - nature valley granola bar with hot tea and honey
8am- cereal (staying away from sugary cereals; with non-fat milk) or oatmeal
12pm - turkey or tuna sandwich (on wheat bread) with an apple
3pm - chocolate peanut butter banana shake (recipe below)
7pm - soup or pasta (wheat) or meat and veggies
I have found that eating 5 small meals a day makes it alot easier to not overeat at meal time. Also, Jarred and I have both eliminated late night snacking. It's good to not eat anything three hours before going to bed.
I certainly haven't turned into a health freak, but I do love taking care of my body. Also, since I am a personal trainer now, I know it's important to practice what I preach. If I want my clients to eat healthy, I am going to be doing the same. And . . . speaking of training. . . . I am taking new clients and would love to train YOU or someone you may know in the Lake area. I have $50 gift cards ready to hand out!! Also, my group classes are alot of fun and a great way to burn lots of calories. Visit www.livefit7.com for the group class schedule.
Chocolate PB Banana Shake:
1 banana
1 cup of nonfat milk
2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter (has no saturated fat!)
2 tbsp natural unsweetened cocoa
1-2 handfuls of ice
Combine in blender, and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment