Thursday, November 29, 2012

Little Sister

During my spring semester at McNeese I met some of the staff at Big Brothers Big Sisters while working on a speech about a non-profit organization. After chatting with them after an interview, I made the decision to become a Big Sister. In a nutshell, the organization is a mentoring program that matches Bigs and Littles (the program has proven to have a big impact which I will share about later). Within in a few weeks I met my Little Sister, Kadie. We have spent the last eight months doing many fun things together like swimming, crafting, shopping, bowling, and playing putt putt.
 
 
 
Our most recent hang out time included baking and decorating Christmas cookies. Kadie loved being allowed to make a mess with all the flour! And yes, she is wearing my apron that reaches the floor :)

 
We have had lots of fun and laughs, but we have also had many chats and convo's about life. It has been a privilege to be a part of Kadie's life. One of my favorite memories is when she told me that she wants to be a Big Sister one day. My prayer is that this sweet girl grows in her faith and lives a life honoring to the Lord.
 
 
 
Research showed that after 18 months of time with Bigs (compared to those not in the program), the Littles were:
 
*46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
*27% less likely to begin using alcohol
*52% less likely to skip school
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment